The Therapy Assistant Association of Alberta is a provincial association for Therapy Assistants.
The ThAAA aims to promote the role of Therapy Assistants in Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Recreation Therapy and Speech Language Pathology
Therapy Assistants are an integral part of our health care system. We are a group of trained, dedicated para-professionals, who as an association can shape our future! The association recognizes those Therapy Assistants who have valuable on the job training as well as assistants with formal education. In 2012, we began the Certification Process! We are one step closer to becoming a regulated association for Therapy Assistants. In 2012, we also added the para-profession of Recreation Therapy Assistants to our membership. Being a ThAAA member already has many benefits! As a ThAAA member you will:
- Have a say in the future of Therapy Assistants in Alberta.
- Receive the ThAAA newsletter on a quarterly basis, an informative publication that is designed by Therapy Assistants for Therapy Assistants.
- Have the chance to network with other Therapy Assistants across the province.
- Have access to all educational opportunities offered by the ThAAA at a discounted/free rate.
- Stay up to date on all career opportunities in Alberta.
- Have access to our website and/or visit our Facebook page.
We have had the addition of new Board Members and have established a Promotions Committee. All of these volunteers will be committed to bringing life to our vision for the future and working on your behalf to bring more recognition to your profession!
The ThAAA offers:
- Joelle Withers Professional Development Grant
- Education Day Conference
- Therapy Assistant Awards
- Education Sessions
- Therapy Assistant Recognition Day
Certification is officially here and the Association is thrilled to be able to offer this to our members! If you currently are or were qualified as a Full Member of the Association in the past, then you have the qualifications to be a certified Therapy Assistant. We are accepting applications now for Renewal of your membership, this will provide you with a certificate upon acceptance. Certificates will be sent out as soon as they are available. We are also thrilled to accept any NEW Members who would like to join the Association and become Certified Members. If you are a Therapy Assistant, Aide, Attendant who would not qualify for Certification you can still join the association as a Practicing Member. The ThAAA now has six categories of Membership available, including
- Certified Member
- Practicing Member
- Student Member
- Associate Member
- Out of Province Member
- Honourary Lifetime Member
The six categories of membership will provide everyone with an interest in the Therapy Assistant profession with an opportunity to join the ThAAA and enjoy the benefits of belonging to the organization.
For more information please read the “Membership Categories” page on our website.
The ThAAA was formed in September 2004 by a group of Therapy Assistants who were concerned by the development of non-diploma Therapy Assistant Programs. The association recognizes those assistants who have valuable on the job training as well as assistants with formal education. Please contact us for more information about membership.
So far we have reached many of our short term goals:
- the formation of an executive and committees
- the completion of association bylaws
- the publication of a quarterly newsletter
- an association website
- membership drives in northern, central and southern Alberta
- conference discounts
We continue to work towards our long term goals:
- educational opportunities for members
- regulation of Therapy Assistants
- liaising with both provincial and national Therapist associations
The formation of this association was the first step towards all of these goals.
We want to hear from you! If you would like further information on the association, or to become a member, please contact us at:
PO Box 290004, Edmonton, AB T6H 5Z6
or email us at email@example.com