Grasslands Public Schools invites applications for full time Speech and Language Assistants (SLPA) to join our team.
Our team of therapists and assistants will work to provide school based speech and language therapy services for students ages 3-19 in the school setting.
Major responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the SLP with speech, language, and hearing screenings without clinical interpretation.
- Assisting the SLP during assessment of students, patients, and clients exclusive of administration and/or interpretation.
- Following documented treatment plans or protocols developed by the supervising SLP.
- Documenting student, patient, and client performance (e.g., tallying data for the SLP to use; preparing charts, records, and graphs) and report this information to the supervising SLP.
- Provide support in the use of augmentative and alternative communication devices.
- Assisting with clerical duties, such as preparing materials and scheduling activities, as directed by the SLP.
- Assisting with departmental operations (scheduling, recordkeeping, safety/maintenance of supplies and equipment).
- Presenting primary prevention information to individuals and groups known to be at risk for communication disorders and other appropriate groups; promote early identification and early intervention activities.
- Advocating for individuals and families through community awareness, health literacy, education, and training programs to promote and facilitate access to full participation in communication, including the elimination of societal, cultural, and linguistic barriers.
- SLPA diploma or extensive experience working with children.
- Valid Alberta driver’s license and reliable vehicle to travel between schools. Mileage reimbursement is available.
- Up to date and clean Criminal Record and Child Welfare checks.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Flexible and able to work effectively with other professionals and families.
- Able to work independently and with a supportive team.
- Aptitude for relevant technology.
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills.
- Strong desire to continue with professional development.
- Salary: Based on education and experience.
- Start date: August 25, 2020
Deadline for this position is a soon as there is a suitable applicant pool.
Please send application to:
Sean Beaton, Assistant Superintendent
Grasslands Public Schools